- Alia Martin is the director of the Infant and Child Cognition Lab and lecturer in Psychology at Victoria University of Wellington. Dr. Martin received her PhD in developmental psychology from Yale University, and her research focuses on how infants and children understand and learn about the social world. Outside the lab and the classroom, she enjoys traveling, reading, exercising, and discovering new restaurants.
- Mary Beth Neff is the manager of the Infant and Child Cognition Lab. Mary Beth completed her Graduate Diploma in Science (Psychology) at VUW in 2016 after previously earning her Master of Peace and Conflict Research from the University of Basel, Switzerland. She aspires to pursue a PhD in Psychology and in her free time she enjoys baking Zopf and hiking with her Bernese Mountain dog, Fela.
- Claudie Peloquin completed her Bachelor of Science in Psychology at Québec University of Montreal, Canada in 2015. She recently moved to New Zealand to earn her PhD under the supervision of Dr. Jason Low and Dr. Alia Martin at VUW. Her research focuses on children’s Theory of Mind and perspective taking abilities. In her free time, she enjoys exploring the outdoors, traveling, and skiing!
- Laura Anderson completed her BSc with Honours in Psychology in 2017 and is our lab’s newest PhD candidate. Her research focuses on what 2- to 7-year-old children understand about knowledge, and how we can use knowledge to better communicate with others. When she is not doing research, Laura enjoys playing music and being in the sunshine.
- Charlotte Anderson-McEwen is currently studying towards a Bachelor of Science majoring in Psychology. In the future she plans to continue studying psychology at the postgraduate level, focusing on clinical, developmental or educational psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with family and friends, watching films, reading, and travelling.
- Michaela Dresel is currently working on her BA, majoring in Psychology, with minors in Theatre and New Zealand Sign Language. Her current goal after graduating is to continue with postgraduate work in developmental psychology, with a particular focus on children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. In her spare time, she enjoys writing and performing poetry, baking, watching Disney movies, and reading.
RESEARCH PROJECT STUDENTS
- Jamie Gannaway is currently working towards a BSc, majoring in Psychology. He has a keen interest in Clinical and Developmental Psychology and intends to continue pursuing psychology at the postgraduate level. In his spare time, he enjoys swimming, running, meditating, watching TV/movies, and playing video-games.
- Liam Crowley is currently working on his BA, majoring in Psychology and Philosophy. Liam is aiming towards postgraduate study in Psychology, with the ultimate goal of one day balancing a clinical practice and research career. When he’s not studying, you may find him tending bar at the Southern Cross and slowly but surely teaching himself how to shoot like Curry at Vic’s Rec Centre.
- Robin Voss is currently studying towards her Bachelor of Science, majoring in Psychology. She plans to enter a career working with children, either at the research level or working as a primary school teacher. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with her friends, babysitting, and watching TV series.
- Heather Coleman is in her final year of her Bachelor of Science majoring in Psychology. She is interested in developmental and clinical psychology and intends to continue studying psychology at the postgraduate level. In her free time, she enjoys eating good food, spending time with good people, and exploring outdoors.
- Jessica Hawthorne is currently studying towards a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology and Linguistics, as well as minoring in Criminology. She intends to continue with both Psychology and Linguistics at the postgraduate level, looking specifically at how they interrelate. In her free time, she enjoys socializing with friends, reading, watching TV, and spending time with her family.
- Marcus Hamilton is currently working towards a GDipSci, majoring in Psychology, but comes from a background in radio and TV production. He is interested in Clinical, Developmental, and Sports Psychology. He intends to continue pursuing psychology at the postgraduate level. In his spare time, he enjoys playing billiards, weight training, and running his own metalworking studio.
- Sylvia Johnson-Hunter is currently studying towards a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Criminology. She intends to pursue postgraduate study in Psychology with a particular interest in clinical and developmental psychology. In her free time, she works as a retail assistant and enjoys spending time with family and friends, cooking, reading, and watching documentaries.