- Alia Martin is the director of the Infant and Child Cognition Lab and lecturer in Psychology at Victoria University of Wellington. Dr. Martin received her PhD in developmental psychology from Yale University, and her research focuses on how infants and children understand and learn about the social world. Outside the lab and the classroom, she enjoys traveling, reading, exercising, and discovering new restaurants.
LAB MANAGER and PHD STUDENT
- Michaela Dresel is the lab manager of the Infant and Child Cognition Lab and started her PhD in our lab in early 2020. Her research interests lie in how young babies learn that other people can have different motivations, thoughts, and beliefs than they do. In her spare time, Michaela enjoys writing and performing poetry, listening to podcasts, and cross-stitching.
- Laura Anderson started her PhD in our lab in 2018. Her research focuses on what 2- to 7-year-old children understand about knowledge, and how we can use knowledge to better communicate with others. Laura is also interested in learning how we start to help others, and what children think about others’ minds. Outside of the lab, Laura enjoys spending time with friends and family, and being in the sunshine!
- Millie Jennings is working towards her Honours in Psychology. Originally conducting her undergraduate study at the University of Otago, Millie has just moved to Wellington to begin her post-graduate studies. As a people person, in her spare time she enjoys hosting dinner parties, going on local adventures with her friends and will take any chance she can get to travel.
RESEARCH PROJECT STUDENTS
- Jamie Gannaway is currently working towards a BSc, majoring in Psychology. He has a keen interest in Clinical and Developmental Psychology and intends to continue pursuing psychology at the postgraduate level. In his spare time, he enjoys swimming, running, meditating, watching TV/movies, and playing video-games.
- Jessica Hawthorne is currently studying towards a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology and Linguistics, as well as minoring in Criminology. She intends to continue with both Psychology and Linguistics at the postgraduate level, looking specifically at how they interrelate. In her free time, she enjoys socializing with friends, reading, watching TV, and spending time with her family.
- Liam Crowley is currently working on his BA, majoring in Psychology and Philosophy. Liam is aiming towards postgraduate study in Psychology, with the ultimate goal of one day balancing a clinical practice and research career. When he’s not studying, you may find him tending bar at the Southern Cross and slowly but surely teaching himself how to shoot like Curry at Vic’s Rec Centre.
- Devon Rogers is currently studying towards a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology and Criminology. She plans to pursue postgraduate study and is interested in clinical and developmental psychology. Outside of the lab, she works as a swimming instructor and enjoys cooking enchiladas and learning aerial silks.
- Nick Heyworth is working towards a Bachelor of Science, majoring in Psychology and Statistics. He aims to eventually join the postgraduate Master’s program, studying Cognitive and Behavioural Neuroscience. In his leisure time, he can be found either practicing Japanese, powerlifting at the gym, or attempting to become a chess expert.