- Alia Martin is the director of the Infant and Child Cognition Lab and lecturer in Psychology at Victoria University of Wellington. Dr. Martin received her PhD in developmental psychology from Yale University, and her research focuses on how infants and children understand and learn about the social world. Outside the lab and the classroom, she enjoys traveling, reading, exercising, and discovering new restaurants.
LAB MANAGER and PHD STUDENT
- Michaela Dresel is the lab manager of the Infant and Child Cognition Lab and started her PhD in our lab in early 2020. Her research interests lie in how young babies learn that other people can have different motivations, thoughts, and beliefs than they do. In her spare time, Michaela enjoys writing and performing poetry, listening to podcasts, and cross-stitching.
- Laura Anderson started her PhD in our lab in 2018. Her research focuses on what 2- to 7-year-old children understand about knowledge, and how we can use knowledge to better communicate with others. Laura is also interested in learning how we start to help others, and what children think about others’ minds. Outside of the lab, Laura enjoys spending time with friends and family, and being in the sunshine!
- Millie Jennings is working towards her Honours in Psychology. Originally conducting her undergraduate study at the University of Otago, Millie has just moved to Wellington to begin her post-graduate studies. As a people person, in her spare time she enjoys hosting dinner parties, going on local adventures with her friends and will take any chance she can get to travel.
RESEARCH PROJECT STUDENTS
- Jamie Gannaway is currently working towards a BSc, majoring in Psychology. He has a keen interest in Clinical and Developmental Psychology and intends to continue pursuing psychology at the postgraduate level. In his spare time, he enjoys swimming, running, meditating, watching TV/movies, and playing video-games.
- Jessica Hawthorne has recently completed a Bachelor of Arts, with majors in Psychology and Linguistics. She is now doing her Honours in Psychology. She has a keen interest in social and developmental psychology, as well as in science communication. In her free time, Jessica enjoys socialising with friends, spending time with family, reading, and being outside.
- Liam Crowley is currently working on his BA, majoring in Psychology and Philosophy. Liam is aiming towards postgraduate study in Psychology, with the ultimate goal of one day balancing a clinical practice and research career. When he’s not studying, you may find him tending bar at the Southern Cross and slowly but surely teaching himself how to shoot like Curry at Vic’s Rec Centre.
- Amber Fisher is in her third and final year of a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Psychology and Sociology. She hopes to return to postgraduate study next year either in the Clinical Psychology programme or as a Honours student researching child development. Outside of university Amber will be found enjoying the outdoors or relaxing inside with good food and a movie.
- Breana Lawton is currently studying towards an undergraduate degree with a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology and Criminology. She hopes to pursue postgraduate study and is interested in clinical and forensic psychology. In her free time, she can be found crocheting, baking, or listening to music.
- Caitlin Booth-Richards has nearly completed her Bachelor of Science, majoring in Psychology and Biology. She aims to continue on with postgraduate study and gain a PhD in Clinical Psychology. Eventually, she wishes to pursue a career in Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. Caitlin spends most of her free time drinking overpriced coffee with friends, sewing and embroidering, baking, and watching Criminal Minds.
- Devon Rogers is currently studying towards a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology and Criminology. She plans to pursue postgraduate study and is interested in clinical and developmental psychology. Outside of the lab, she works as a swimming instructor and enjoys cooking enchiladas and learning aerial silks.
- Georgia Bueno is currently in her third year studying towards a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology and Education. During her degree she has enjoyed taking papers on lifespan development, with a particular interest in child development. Ultimately, she intends to do postgraduate study and work with children and youth in the future. She is passionate about accessible, inclusive education and young men’s mental health.
- Jackson Angell is working towards his Bachelor of Science majoring in psychology. He is aspiring towards postgraduate study in Psychology, hoping to expand on his knowledge of social work and pursue a research career. In his spare time, Jackson enjoys meditating, exercise, video games, reading and martial arts.
- Jess van Niekerk is almost done with her Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology and Criminology. She is planning to pursue postgraduate study and is interested in forensic and developmental psychology. When she’s not in the lab, Jess can be found listening to podcasts, going for a walk around town, or spending time with friends.
- Lucie Bardoul is currently working towards a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Psychology and International Relations. She is passionate about helping to make meaningful and positive contributions to the pathways and outcomes of children and young people in Aotearoa. In her spare time, Lucie enjoys exploring the outdoors including by tramping, running and swimming, as well as spending time with family and friends.
- Tian Daniels is currently studying towards a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Psychology and Philosophy. She aspires to work towards post-graduate study in developmental and forensic psychology. Outside of University she enjoys hikes, singing and water colour painting