- Alia Martin is the director of the Infant and Child Cognition Lab and lecturer in Psychology at Victoria University of Wellington. Dr. Martin received her PhD in developmental psychology from Yale University, and her research focuses on how infants and children understand and learn about the social world. Outside the lab and the classroom, she enjoys traveling, reading, exercising, and discovering new restaurants.
- Mary Beth Neff is the manager of the Infant and Child Cognition Lab. Mary Beth completed her Graduate Diploma in Science (Psychology) at VUW in 2016 after previously earning her Master of Peace and Conflict Research from the University of Basel, Switzerland. She aspires to pursue a PhD in Psychology and in her free time she enjoys baking Zopf and hiking with her Bernese Mountain dog, Fela.
- Claudie Peloquin completed her Bachelor of Science in Psychology at Québec University of Montreal, Canada in 2015. She recently moved to New Zealand to earn her PhD under the supervision of Dr. Jason Low and Dr. Alia Martin at VUW. Her research focuses on children’s Theory of Mind and perspective taking abilities. In her free time, she enjoys exploring the outdoors, traveling, and skiing!
- Laura Anderson completed her BSc with Honours in Psychology in 2017 and is our lab’s newest PhD candidate. Her research focuses on what 2- to 7-year-old children understand about knowledge, and how we can use knowledge to better communicate with others. When she is not doing research, Laura enjoys playing music and being in the sunshine.
- Michaela Dresel is currently working on her BA, majoring in Psychology, with minors in Theatre and New Zealand Sign Language. Her current goal after graduating is to continue with postgraduate work in developmental psychology, with a particular focus on children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. In her spare time, she enjoys writing and performing poetry, baking, watching Disney movies, and reading.
RESEARCH PROJECT STUDENTS
- Ashleigh Dixon recently completed her BSc majoring in Psychology and Theatre in 2017. In the future, she is considering pursuing postgraduate study, in either psychology or theatre. One day she hopes to work in a job that allows her to incorporate both of her majors and involves working with children. In her spare time, Ashleigh enjoys reading, acting, and watching movies, preferably anything related to Disney or Harry Potter.
- Caitlin Heesterman is currently working towards a BSc majoring in Psychology and French. She plans on continuing her studies post graduate and is interested in clinical, forensic, or developmental psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys tramping, photography, visiting cafes, and collecting house plants.
- Ella Macaskill is currently in her final year of a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Psychology and Education. Her future aspirations include pursuing postgraduate study in psychology and entering clinical practice. Ella is particularly interested in youth mental wellbeing and developmental disorders. In her free time, she enjoys playing the guitar, drinking coffee, and taking her dog on bush walks.
- Annabelle Hammond is currently studying towards a Bachelor of Science majoring in Psychology. In the future she plans to continue studying psychology at the postgraduate level, focusing on abnormal, child, or social psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys travelling, watching films, and spending time with friends and family.
- Brooke Armstrong is currently studying towards her Bachelor of Science, majoring in psychology and minoring in management. She endeavours to pursue psychology at the postgraduate level. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with friends and family, and won’t pass up a good book, documentary, or running trail.
- Chelsea D’Cruz is currently working towards her BSc, majoring in Psychology and Criminology. She intends to continue postgraduate studies in Psychology, with a special interest in clinical and Developmental Psychology. In her spare time, she enjoys playing basketball with her friends, baking, sewing, and going for walks with her dog.
- Ella Childs is currently working towards a Bachelor of Science majoring in Psychology and Cell and Molecular Bioscience. She plans to continue with both Psychology and Biology at the postgraduate level and is interested in how the two disciplines relate. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with friends and working at her part-time job teaching young children how to swim.
- Eumina Reyes is currently working towards a Bachelor of Science majoring in Psychology and minoring in Development Studies. She intends to continue studying, specifically aiming toward clinical psychology. She enjoys watching films and TV shows, listening to music, singing, travelling, and spending time with friends and family.
- Geneva Fanslow is currently working towards her Bachelor of Arts majoring in Anthropology. She intends to pursue postgraduate study and is particularly interested in how people in different countries (including children) make sense of the world around them. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, walking, going to the gym, and travelling to new and exciting places.
- Jackson Enright is currently working towards a BA majoring in Psychology and French. In the future, he is aiming to complete a postgraduate degree and then enter clinical practice. In his spare time, he enjoys reading, running, travelling, and going to the movies.
- Jamie Gannaway is currently working towards a BSc, majoring in Psychology. He has a keen interest in Clinical and Developmental Psychology and intends to continue pursuing psychology at the postgraduate level. In his spare time, he enjoys swimming, running, meditating, watching TV/movies, and playing video-games.
- Laurel Keats completed her BSc with Honours in Psychology in 2016 and has since been working as a tutor for a variety of undergraduate psychology papers. She intends to pursue further postgraduate study next year and has a keen interest in the developmental and clinical fields. In her spare time, she enjoys getting outdoors for a walk or into her vegetable garden and being at home with her two children.
- Liam Crowley is currently working on his BA, majoring in Psychology and Philosophy. Liam is aiming towards postgraduate study in Psychology, with the ultimate goal of one day balancing a clinical practice and research career. When he’s not studying, you may find him tending bar at the Southern Cross and slowly but surely teaching himself how to shoot like Curry at Vic’s Rec Centre.
- Roydon Goldsack is currently studying towards a Bachelor of Science, majoring in Psychology, Statistics and Linguistics. In the future, they plan on continuing into postgraduate in either Psychology or Statistics. In their spare time, they enjoy exercising, photography, and listening to music.
- Sally Chen is currently on an exchange program between Victoria University of Wellington and East China Normal University. She plans to continue with postgraduate study in either Developmental Psychology or Cognitive Psychology and endeavours to become a researcher in the future. In her spare time, she enjoys swimming, playing the piano, and exploring museums during her travels.
- Sophie Telfer is currently working towards a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Psychology and Criminology. She hopes to continue her studies through to the postgraduate level. Sophie also works part-time in a library, and in her free time enjoys playing cricket, exercising, and listening to music.
- Terise Broodryk is currently working towards a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Psychology and History. She intends to continue her study post-graduate, specifically finding interest in clinical and educational psychology. She enjoys watching film and tv, reading comics, playing video games, and travelling in her spare time.
- Wendy Mao has just completed a Bachelor of Science majoring in Psychology in 2018. In the future, she is planning on pursuing postgraduate study in psychology. Shaofang is particularly interested in child development as she hopes to work with children one day. In her free time, she enjoys swimming, spending time with family and friends, and studying.